Are you tired of the jumbled mess of numbers and letters at the end of your LinkedIn profile’s URL? Do you yearn for a cleaner and more memorable link that stands out in the crowd? Well, you’re in luck! Here are the steps to create a custom LinkedIn URL that reflects your personal brand and enhances your professional online presence.
Brainstorm Your Custom URL
Your LinkedIn URL is not just a technical detail – it’s an opportunity to brand yourself effectively. Begin by brainstorming creative options for your custom URL. This is the chance to make a lasting impression on your connections. Let’s consider the example of Ann Johnston, who runs a corporate catering business called Synergy Catering. Some creative options for her custom URL could be:
General Formulas for a LinkedIn URL
There are four general formulas you can follow for your custom LinkedIn URL. The last two, which include keywords and taglines, are highly recommended for effective branding and LinkedIn SEO strategy. Remember, this URL will not only appear on LinkedIn but also on business cards, resumes, and other printed materials.
Adhering to LinkedIn’s Rules
Before finalizing your custom URL, it’s essential to follow LinkedIn’s guidelines:
- The custom part of your URL must be between 3 to 100 characters.
- Avoid using spaces, symbols, or special characters. Dashes are acceptable.
- LinkedIn will automatically convert upper case letters to lowercase.
- If your desired custom URL is already taken, LinkedIn will inform you, so have backups in mind.
- You can change your custom URL up to 5 times within 6 months. After that, changes are locked for another 6 months.
Setting Up Your Custom URL
After deciding on the perfect custom URL, follow these steps to set it up:
- Log in to your LinkedIn account.
- On the homepage, find and click on “Public Profile & URL.”
- Click on the edit icon (pencil) next to “Edit Your Custom URL.”
- Highlight the entire current URL, which might be hidden to the right.
- Type in your new desired URL and click “Save.”
Considerations and Long-Term Impact
While your custom LinkedIn URL can be changed up to 5 times in 6 months, it’s essential to be cautious about making frequent changes. Consistency in your URL helps others find you easily, and changing it too often can lead to confusion. Just like our example with Ann Johnston, keeping the same URL over time can contribute to your recognizability and brand continuity.
Crafting a custom LinkedIn URL is a simple yet impactful way to enhance your personal brand and make a memorable impression on your professional network. By brainstorming creative options, adhering to LinkedIn’s rules, and setting up your custom URL strategically, you’ll have a polished and distinctive online presence that represents your skills and expertise effectively. So, take this opportunity to stand out on LinkedIn and make your mark in the professional world!